Friday 15 July 2011

LinkedIn

LinkedIn is one of those things that I have never liked, but feel as if I have never given a proper chance.  So I signed up to it for 23 things to double check.  I still feel quite sure I don't like it.  I don't really like the way it looks, I don't like the emails it keeps sending me, and I don't like the way I can never remember my password to get into it.  I still think I am being unfair.  I'm sure it can be a very useful tool, but for some reason, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.  I think it is like Library Apocalypse and Librery Bloggery say; it just feels too 'schmoozy'.

With thanks to Aimee Ray for the 'crowded' image under this licence: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic  (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that people dont like linked in. You can switch the email reminders off if you prefer, and I just tend to use the same logon details for as many things as possible so only have one set to remember.
    It is a useful tool and can reconnect you with people. I haven't found it shmoozy, but then again I dont use facebook. I think Fb users dont like linked in if it seems more formal.
    Sorry we've chosen a Thing that makes you feel uncomfortable though - we thought people would be more comfortable signing up for this than FB (if they werent already Fb users) as it is more work based.
    At least you've had a look at it though, which is good. Some people have dismissed it without trying which is a shame. Better to have a go and see if it works for you than just ignoring it!

    Rowena 23 Things Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having re-read my post (rant?) about linkedin, I think I was I was being very unfair towards it (particularly when I blamed it for me continually forgetting my password)! I think my predominant feeling is that it just doesn't feel quite right for me at this particular moment in my career. Facebook does feel more intuitive and relaxed, but I think it's good that there is a separate, more formal social network available for your professional life. Thanks for letting me know about the email reminders, I think I will switch them off!

    ReplyDelete