Monday 4 July 2011

Badger

I made the most of last week's task by spending much time looking for a picture of a nice badger on flickr.  This picture was taken by Tatterdemalion!, and I have been able to add it under the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs licence.

I have enjoyed learning about Creative Commons this week, and feel that it can only be a good thing to attempt to protect people's rights over their creative works, while at the same time providing a means for others to use pictures without a lurking fear of being caught infringing copyright.  Many people don't seem to worry about it too much, but it used to worry me so much that I would simply go without using images at all rather than use one I wasn't completely sure was legal. But I wonder what happens if you do get caught?  What would happen if I got caught using someone's image on this blog that they didn't want used?  

Like For Your I.A.s Only, I noticed that lots of people on Flickr were using the most restrictive form of the CC licence, but I didn't think that even this was too restrictive really.  I suppose I might find it annoying if I wanted to use an image for a commercial purpose, but I kind of feel if you are going to do that, its best to use your own images anyway!  I had used flickr before a tiny bit, but will definitely use it a lot more now that I know how to do a search only within Creative Commons licensed content.

A tiny Kindle update (I hope I'm not becoming obssesive): Kindle has behaved pretty well this week and there have been no more tantrums.  I'm currently trying to work out how to download audio books, as there are lots of free ones available on Project Gutenberg.  You can actually get Kindle to read any book out to you (if the book has the right permissions and such), but the voice it uses is very robotic and I find myself listening out for the robot's odd pronunciations and pauses in strange places, rather than listening to the actual content.

1 comment:

  1. Just love that badger picture! very beautiful creatures. Good it's helped you think more about images and copyright/licencing.
    Interesting kindles can read out books to you (permissions allowing) good for visually imapired peopel but I guess you would get fed up of listening to a robotic voice.

    Rowena 23 Things team

    ReplyDelete